I was so excited to bring this vacuum home. I have a couple of friends who own Dysons and ranted and raved about how good they are. I have about 1,000 sq feet of tile and 1,000 sq feet of carpet in my home, plus a carpeted staircase. I was able to combine a Kohl's 30% off coupon with my Kohl's charge card along with a price match to purchase this vacuum for about $340. I did the "Dyson test" when I got home. I first vacuumed with my old $50 Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner that I've owned for 3 years, then followed with the Dyson. The Dyson barely picked anything else up - I think it's because I keep my floors relatively clean to begin with, and perhaps I didn't give my old Dirt Devil enough credit. I do believe that the Dyson has great suction and gets things clean. It also has a VERY easy cannister to empty, and I like that there are no bags to buy and washable filters. It is also very light-weight. With that said, the following cons were deal breakers for me, and I ultimately returned it after trying and trying for a month to get used to using it:
1. My old Dirt Devil has swivel caster wheels in the front and back, and the Dyson ball was actually far less maneuverable than the Dirt Devil. The ball makes it hard to steer in a straight line if you are trying to clean along the edge of a wall. The vacuum tends to want to wabble all over the place due to the ball design.
2. The edge cleaning did not work well at all compared to my Dirt Devil, and I usually had to follow with an attachment to clean near the baseboards.
3. The hose connects to the bottom of the vacuum and sticks out on the side. Additionally, the gray wheels that are used to roll the vacuum from one room to another when not in use also stick out on the sides. This means that when steering around corners, furniture, etc., the hose and the wheels often bump into objects. Apart from making it difficult to get around, the wheels are also made of hard plastic which can scratch or scuff your walls.
4. The part of the vacuum which cleans the floors has a hard plastic bumper instead of a rubber bumper. The bumper is relatively flush with the vacuum, which means areas of the vacuum above the bumper make contact with the walls, too. I noticed it taking some of the paint off the walls (scuffs on the vacuum that are the same color as my walls/baseboards). Though I didn't see visible damage on the walls (yet), obviously if it is removing paint, it is causing damage, and over time I worried this would be an issue.
5. The #1 deal breaker for me is that the hose and attachments are a HUGE pain. If you are at all concerned about the hose being too stiff, DO NOT purchase this product. The hose is so stiff that it will tip the vacuum over or roll the vacuum towards you before it will stretch out, especially when using on tile or hard floors that do not have any extra resistance. Additionally, the wand is about 3 feet long when attached and makes it hard to use the attachments for up close jobs like cleaning window sills or upholstery. I found I would have to disconnect the wand and connect the attachments directly to the hose, which meant having no wand at all, but was easier than using the long one. The wand is difficult to detach and made it a huge hassle to quickly take the wand out and clean an area as I saw it. My dirt devil hose attached in a snap, and the wand was only about 1.5 feet long and I could attach an extension if needed, which proved more practical for my purposes. I have heard that the hose may stretch after extended use, but it was so hard to use, that I do not believe I would have had the ability to use it enough to stretch it out. My husband tried stretching the hose and leaving it overnight, but it didn't make a significant difference.
It's a shame that there are so many design flaws, because I believe the vacuum itself is very powerful. However, I constantly utilize the hose and attachments on my old vacuum, and to own a vacuum where this is so inconvenient that it deters me from using it, it's just not worth it. I am on the hunt for a better replacement and will use my $50 Dirt Devil in the meantime.
(195 customers reviews )
Customers Rating=4.5 / 5.0
More Detail For Dyson DC25 Animal Ball Technology Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Upright vacuum cleaner with Dyson's Ball technology for smooth steering
- Designed for homes with pets; motorized brushbar; mini turbine head
- Telescope Reach wand; Root Cyclone technology ensures no loss of suction
- HEPA filter; certified asthma friendly; hygienic dust bin; on-board tools
- Measures 12-1/5 by 15-2/5 by 42-2/5 inches; 5-year warranty
HP PhotoSmart 7350 Inkjet Printer
Canon PIXMA MP810 All in One Photo Printer 1453B002
Rapala We Fish with Rod Bundle
Lexmark X4875 Wireless Professional All In One Inkjet Printer
Epson WorkForce 30 Color Printer Black C11CA19201
Lexmark Z2420 13L0700 Wireless Single Function Printer
Lexmark Z816 Photo Printer 21G8600
HP D1560 Deskjet Printer
Factory Reconditioned Electrolux EL 6989 Ultra Oxygen Canister Vacuum
Epson Stylus C42 UX Inkjet Printer
Casio Exilim EX S5 10MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD Blue
Bissell Big Green Complete Home Cleaning System 7700
CT S801 POS Thermal Receipt Printer